2018 Tornado Information

The Eureka Foundation is supporting local efforts to recover from the recent tornado. Click the links below for more information. (updated 27 August)

The Tornado Committee is now active  and case managers are being assigned. If you need help or have questions, call Matt Osborn at (316) 833-6806 or email matt@daystarpetroleum.com

The landfill is located east of Eureka. Follow the signs off Highway 54.

– Kansas state law requires Eureka to hold 15% of insurance payments for heavily damaged structures until the homes are repaired or demolished. After the work is complete, the City does an inspection and promptly gives the money to the property owner.  This law is designed to prevent property owners from running off with the insurance money and sticking the city with the abandoned property.

– Click here to donate money to the Tornado Recovery Committee. The Eureka Foundation is a 501c3 non-profit organization, and donations are tax-deductible. 100% of the proceeds stay in Eureka with no administrative fees.

– If you plan to repair or rebuild your tornado-damaged home, click here for possible tax rebates BEFORE you start work or call the City office at (620) 583-6140 for more information.

– If you have moved into a new home or apartment and need help getting utilities connected, click here

– Latest statistics (3 July) :

  • 303 structures in tornado path
  • 167 structures damaged
  • 32 homes have major damage
  • 19 homes are total loss
  • 20 commercial buildings damaged
  • 8 commercial buildings are total loss

– Below is a chart that explains what the colored damage assessment signs mean. In general, red means the structure needs to be demolished. Orange means the structure will need a lost of work to be safe for occupancy. Yellow and green mean the structure is damaged but safe for occupancy.